Saturday night 9/22, I’ll be doing Baybayin chalk art as part of “Make Your Own Revolution: Remembering people’s strength in resistance to Martial Law” by Kularts.
Friday & Saturday | September 21-22 | 6-8:30pm
Bayanihan Community Center
1010 Mission Street @ 6th
Suggested Donation: $5-20
Join Kularts for two evenings of performance inspired by people’s resistance to state violence. Forty years ago, Ferdinand Marcos declared Martial Law, ushering over two decades of brutal dictatorship, repression, murders (aka “salvaging”), and the subsequent revolution, now known as” People Power Movement.”
Make Your Own Revolution provides a space for the community to commemorate the traumas of martial law and remember the strength of “people power.” Activities include staged readings; live music; participatory sidewalk drawing; and the installation of a bangka, a boat sculpture inspired by indigenous ritual.
Saturday, September 22, 2012:
- Chalk art by Paolo Salazar & Christian Cabuay
- DJ JoelQuiz (aka Joel Quizon) Compilation (re)mix of Manila Nightclub and Lounges Soundscape
- Reading of Katrina Tuvera’s Jupiter Effect directed by Jason Magabo Perez
- Reading of Lysley Tenorio’s Monstress directed by Sean San José
- Punk Music by Bankrupt District, with excerpts from R. Zamora Linmark’s Leche
- Street theater performance of U.P. Peryante’s Ilokula Ang Ilokanong Dracula directed by Allan S. Manalo
- Post-show discussion